Toxic Food Guide for Pets

guide for pets

Dangerous Foods for Dogs

Who can resist those big brown eyes and cute doggie grin Can a little reward from the table or getting into Guide for Pets Mom or Dad’s stuff really hurt your dog? Well, that depends on what it is and what’s in it. If it contains the sweetener  it can cause your dog some real problems. In fact, there’s a lot of people food your dog should never eat. And, it’s not just because of weight. Some foods are downright dangerous for dogs — and some of these common foods may surprise you.

Xylitol

Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. It can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop and can also cause failure. Early symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, and coordination problems. Eventually, your dog may have seizures. Liver failure can happen within just a few days

Avocado

Is a treat from the table OK for your dog? That depends on what it is. Avocados, for example, have something called persin. It’s fine for people who aren’t allergic to it. But too much might cause vomiting or diarrhea in dogs. If you grow avocados at home, keep your dog away from the plants. Person is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as the fruit. Also, the avocado seed can become stuck in the intestines or stomach, and obstruction could be fatal.

What Not to Feed Dogs and Cats

Dogs and cats are curious by nature, particularly when it comes to food. They’re also very good at begging for a taste of whatever we may be eating or cooking. As cute as they may be, though, our pets can’t always stomach the same foods as us — some food can be toxic and even deadly to their health.

Use this toxic food list as a guide to preventing accidental toxic exposure to your four-legged companion.

20 Foods to Avoid Feeding Dogs and Cats

To learn more about toxic and dangerous foods to pets, please read our full-length article, Toxic Food Guide for Pets. If you want to make sure you have pet health insurance coverage for accidents like garlic or chocolate toxicity, get a  for your pet’s enrollment. Multi-pet households are eligible for a discount

Several foods that are perfectly suitable for human consumption can be toxic to dogs and cats. Food-associated poisoning cases involving the accidental ingestion of chocolate and chocolate-based products, Allium spp. (onion, garlic, leek, and chives), macadamia nuts, Vitus vinifera fruits (grapes, raisins, sultanas, and currants), products sweetened with xylitol, alcoholic beverages, and unbaked bread dough have been reported worldwide in the last decade

. The poisoning episodes are generally due to lack of public knowledge of the serious health threat to dogs and cats that can be posed by these products. The present review aims to outline the current knowledge of common food items frequently involved in the poisoning of small animals, particularly dogs, and provides an overview of poisoning episodes reported in the literature.

Ethanol

Ethanol or ethyl alcohol is a two-carbon alcohol found in a variety of products, such as alcoholic beverages, paint and varnish, medication, perfume, mouthwash, certain types of thermometers, and certain forms of antifreeze. It is also used as a disinfectant, a fuel substitute, and if administered intravenously, as a competitive substrate in the treatment of dogs and cats poisoned by ethylene glycol. Ethanol toxicosis in small animals generally occurs as a result of accidental ingestion of alcoholic beverages

. Ethanol intoxication has also been reported in the case of dogs, following ingestion of rotten apples , sloe berries used to make sloe gin , and uncooked bread and pizza dough . The latter contains the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which metabolizes carbohydrate substrates to ethanol and carbon dioxide . Once ingested, ethanol is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and crosses the blood–brain barrier . The mechanism of action of ethanol is not completely clear. Ethanol is suspected of inhibiting N-methyl-d-aspartate glutamate receptors in brain cells and the related production of cyclic guanosine monophosphate . Clinical signs usually develop within an hour of ingestion and include central nervous system (CNS) depression, ataxia, lethargy, sedation, hypothermia, and metabolic acidosis . Animals may become comatose and develop severe respiratory depression. A distended and painful abdomen due to excessive gas production may be noted in animals that ingest uncooked bread dough . Emesis should be induced with extreme caution and only in cases of very recent ingestion by animals that prove to be asymptomatic

. Recently, hemodialysis has been shown to be beneficial for the rapid removal of ethanol in patients with severe toxicosis . Yohimbine, an alpha 2-adrenergic antagonist which readily crosses the blood–brain barrier, has been recommended as an arousal agent in the treatment of ethanol intoxication . In previous case reports, most patients recovered when monitored closely and given supportive care. Fatal ethanol intoxication was reported in the case of a dog, following the massive ingestion of rotten apples. The dog developed vomiting, ataxia, tremors, and dehydration, and died 48 h later. However, liver damage secondary to the chronic ingestion of rotten apples (presumed to reflect chronic ethanol toxicity) was suspected as a factor in the death of this dog.

Read More: Foreign Body Ingestion Threatens Pets

Grapes and Their Dried Products (Raisins, Sultanas, and Currants)

Grapes, the fruits of Vitis vinifera, and their dried products (raisins, sultanas, and currants) have been reported to cause renal failure in dogs. The fruits may be ingested raw or cooked as ingredients of fruit cake, mince pies, malt loaf, snack bars, scones, and other baked goods. The toxic syndrome has also been observed with consumption of marc (the residue of grapes after pressing). The toxic principle(s) and the exact mechanism of grape-induced nephrotoxicity are still unknown. The latter appears to involve a nephrotoxic agent or an idiosyncratic reaction, leading to hypovolemic shock and renal ischemia

. There is considerable variation in the susceptibility of dogs to grapes and their dried products. In a recent study that reviewed 180 reports recorded by the VPIS between August 1994 and September 2007 on the ingestion of Vitus fruits by dogs, some animals were reported to remain asymptomatic after ingesting up to 1 kg of raisins while others died following the ingestion of just a handful. Published case reports have identified renal failure in dogs following the ingestion of estimated doses of raisins as low as 2.8 mg/kg  and as little as four to five grapes in a dog weighing 8.2 kg. Therefore, ingestion of any quantity of these fruits should be considered as a potential clinical problem. Vomiting within 24 h of ingestion is the typical clinical sign observed. Diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy, and abdominal pain have also been reported

. Partially digested grapes and grape products may be present in the vomit, fecal material, or both. This is followed by signs of renal insufficiency or failure (oliguria, anuria, polydipsia, proteinuria, and elevated serum concentrations of creatinine and urea) within a short period. In cases of dogs with oliguria or anuria, the prognosis is generally poor. The time taken to administer treatment may also play a significant role in the outcome. Given the large variability in the tolerance exhibited by dogs, the ingestion of any quantity of grapes or grape products by dogs should be handled aggressively. Following recent ingestion, prompt decontamination using emetics and repeated doses of activated charcoal is highly recommended. All dogs should receive aggressive intravenous fluid therapy Guide for Pets.

Human Food Safety for Dogs

Almonds: Almonds may not necessarily be toxic to dogs like macadamia nuts are, but they can block the esophagus or even tear the windpipe if not chewed completely. Salted almonds are especially dangerous because they can increase water retention, which is potentially fatal to dogs prone to heart disease.

Bread:. Small amounts of plain bread (no spices and definitely no raisins) won’t hurt your dog, but it also won’t provide any health benefits either. It has no nutritional value and can really pack on the carbohydrates and calories, just like in people. Homemade breads are a better option than store-bought, as bread from the grocery store typically contains unnecessary preservatives, but it’s best to avoid it altogether.

Cashews: Cashews are OK for dogs, but only a few at a time. They’ve got calcium, magnesium, antioxidants, and proteins, but while these nuts contain less fat than others, too many can lead to weight gain and other fat-related conditions. A few cashews make a nice treat, but only if they’re unsalted

 

 

 

 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.